Now legal for use in our country, RU 486 (mifepristone) kills an unborn baby 5-7 weeks old by blocking food and oxygen so that she eventually starves or suffocates to death. Mifepristone is a complex chemical molecule effecting multiple systems of the woman’s body, her reproductive system, cardiovascular, digestive, and central nervous system as well. Misoprostol, the prostaglandin ordinarily used in conjunction with RU 486, has its own side effects, triggering the painful, often nauseating contractions that expel the dead baby. Despite heavy publicity by Planned Parenthood and NARAL that the RU 486/prostaglandin method is a safe, easy and effective alternative to surgical abortion a very different picture emerges from the actual results reported from the clinical testing and from use in other countries.
Women with any of the following conditions may be screened from using RU 486 for fear that the drug might prove dangerous or deadly for them.
- Presence of cardiovascular risks, including high blood pressure, obesity, cigarette smoking, and diabetes
- Asthma and bronchitis
- Age over 35 and under 18
- Menstrual irregularity, fibroids or endometriosis
- Use of IUD or oral contraceptives less than 3 months prior to conception
- History of problem pregnancy, current ectopic pregnancy, or pelvic inflammatory disease
- Allergies, epilepsy, or adrenal insufficiency
- Recent intake of steroidor anti-inflammatory medications
- Long term administration of cortisone or similar drugs
- History of liver, stomach, intestinal, or kidney disease
DANGEROUS SIDE EFFECTS
- In France, a woman suffered heart failure and died after taking RU 486 in combination with it accompanying prostaglandin
- In America, one of the women participating in the U.S. trial ofRU 486 nearly bled to death after taking the abortion drugs
- Nasty side effects that are experienced in most women using the RU 486 procedure include: Pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting, heavy bleeding and infection
- Approximately 8% of women will fail to complete the abortion using RU 486 and will have to undergo a surgical abortion
Besides the physical risks and complications of this abortion method, it has been described by Edouard Sakiz, former chairman and CEO of Roussel Uelaf, the Germany company that originally produced it, as “an appalling psychological ordeal” for women who have to “live with the abortion for a week using this technique.”
Safe? No . . . Easy? No . . . Effective? Maybe . . .
For more information on RU 486 call the state office at 800-714-2785 or visit www.nrlc.org.